Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bishop's response to Stephanie's altered book

I thought it was great to listen to Stephanie explain the process which led to her 'final' altered book. I think it was very enlightning to see how she approached the 'problems' with her altered book and how it made her rethink the entire altered book process. I especially enjoyed when she said before that if a student had turned something in similar to her pages she would have considered them unfinished but now it is more about the process and really letting go. Also, I thought it was brave and exciting that she completely moved away from the traditional concept of book and removed her pages from the binding.
I had similar problems with several pages feeling incomplete with very little on them and felt like I had to add more "stuff" to them. I found myself realizing simple doesn't discount its visual interest or impact and that adding more stuff is well, just adding more stuff.